Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Rubric to assess your e-project

Hello readers!

Do you know what a rubric is, and what is the purpose to create it? 


On this post, I would like to talk about how you can create your own rubric, a good web tool to create a rubric and an example (which can help you).

First of all, Rubrics have become popular with teachers as a means of communicating expectations for an assignment, providing focused feedback on works in progress, and grading final products. 
Moreover, rubrics make grading papers fast and easy. With a rubric, you know exactly what to look for in your students' projects.

Now, it is clear what Rubric means, I will start explaining my rubric. I wanted to make my rubric clear and less vague. A lot of rubrics I have seen are written in an overly complex way, so I wrote this rubric in a complex way because is for my master but when I will manage with a rubric for my children, I will write it in way that my students could easily understand and without needing to use internet, dictionaries or translator.

A good web tool to create a rubric is Quick rubricI really like this tool because it is simple, clear and very easy to use. To create a rubric here, I advise you to create an account. That is easy, you need to click in "log in" and choose the option "I´m a new user".  You need to complete the following aspects: 


and now you have an account and you can start creating your own rubric. The tool provides you with a template of your rubric, so you only have to fill it with the information or criteria that you will use. You can also choose the number of columns and rows that you will use, so it is possible to personalise it however you want. Furthermore, you can title the rubric and include a description of it in order to clarify what your rubric is about. About the score rating, Quick Rubric allows you to change it and adapt it to your own criteria. 

Once you finish, you will get an URL to share the rubric. What is more, if you then decide to change something, you can edit your rubric and share it again. And, of course, everything for free.

Now, I´m going to show you my own rubric that I have created




and here it is the link to it: http://www.quickrubric.com/r#/qr/sararp/nameless-rubric

First of all, I have divided my Rubric in these 8 aspects:

1. Teamwork
2. Content and organization
3. Attributing
4.Use of web tools/multimedia
5. Creativity and originality
6. Accesibility/URL
7. Dissemination
8. ePortofolio and Punctuality

And once I have given points for each element (poor (1) good (2) or excellent (3)) all I have to do is add the total points and I've got the final grade for any eproject!


Regarding the challenge, I really like the idea of creating our own rubric. I think it is very useful because sometimes, students complain that their papers are graded unfairly. They don't understand why they receive the grades they do. A rubric takes away most problems like these. With a rubric, students have a clear list of where they lost points on a project, so they don't have to wonder how they got the grade they did. In addition, in the near future, I will like my students to be active learners, as well as content creators and assessors. By doing a rubric to asses any peer´s work, I hope they can get a lot more out of the classroom experience.

Furthermore, I think it could be useful when teachers are designing the rubrics, to take into account the children´s opinions, because by this way, when a teacher and his/her students create assessment together, both know what is to be expected. Then, there is no argument as to why certain criteria were not fulfilled.

so....What do you think about Rubrics? I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment